- Genus Pantala (Hagen, 1861) Rainpool Gliders
Also known as the Globe Skimmer or Winged Wanderer.
- 2 Species with one species occurring in America only.
- Pantala flavescens occurring on all continents except Antarctica and most of Europe
- .Complete its life cycle in as little as one month.
- There are indications for annual trans-oceanic migrations between Africa and India.
- The large surface area of their wings, enables them to ride the prevailing winds, often at altitudes of more than 1000 km, while dining on aerial plankton and small insects.
Habitat and behaviour
- Great numbers may be seen on the move in the dry season, swarming around trees at the onset of rains, and patrolling over puddles, as well as swimming pools and shiny car roofs
- Females may lay eggs on shiny surfaces like cars or shinny floors
- Perch in the hanging position but not often.
- Only images of males are shown
- To view images of female follow the menu links to the main description pages
- Click on all images to enlarge.or link to description page
A selection of images