- 4 species
- Three species in Africa and one endemic to Madagascar.
- Large (hindwing 38-45 mm) and robust species with ringed abdomen, thus appearing superficially like Zygonyx torridus, Ringed Cascader. The Ringed Cascader has dark brown eyes with maturity, while those of Zygonoides are bluish or green .
- Male of genus is similar to Olpogastra Bottletail.
Habitat and behaviour
- Large (hindwing 38-45 mm) and robust species with ringed abdomen, thus appearing superficially like Zygonyx torridus, Ringed Cascader,
- Similar in behaviour, patrolling aggressively over faster sections of rivers, but perching more frequently and with abdomen raised rather than hanging.
- Z. fuelleborni also inhabits rocky lakeshores, while Z. occidentis appears to favour huge forest rivers like the Congo and Ubangui.
- Only images of males are shown
- To view images of female follow the menu links to the main description pages
- Click on all images to enlarge.
A selection of images