Boulder Jewel. Klipjuweeltjie.
Link to our image gallery of Boulder Jewel (Platycypha fitzsimonsi)
Links to close-up images as identification aid
Please click on all images and links to enlarge
Key identification features:
- Black face and eyes.
- Smokey wings at base with black pterostigmas.
- Males with deep reddish striped thorax, red abdomen with blue tip. Red and white legs.
- Females yellowish brown striped thorax and abdomen.
Compared with other species:
- Unmistakable coloring in the Southern Cape but similar to Platycypha caligata (Dancing Jewel) along the Eastern coast.
- P. caligata has an all blue abdomen. P. fitzsimonsi red & blue.
Distribution and habitat:
- Endemic to South Africa.
- Favours rocky streams and rivers of the Southern Cape and East coast with tall grasses on their banks.
- A few records exist from Mpumalang
- Usually rests on exposed boulders.
- Short flights from vegetation to rocks.
A Guide to Dragonflies and Damselflies of South Africa . p 28
Dragonflies and Damselflies of South Africa ... p 49
Dragonfly Biotic Index ... p 41
Websites of interest:
A Visual Guide to the Damselflies and Dragonflies of South Africa
Odonata Atlas of Africa VMU Number 661210
African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online
The IUCR Red list of threatened Species
Size Comparison Diagram: Dragonflies and Damselflies
Morphology of a Dragonfly Sketch 1 and Sketch 2 and Damselfly
Map of South Africa