Family Chlorocyphidae, 4 Genara, 12 species in Genus Platycypha. only 2 species in Southern Africa.
Genus Chlorocypha Species Chlorocypha consueta. There are historic records for this species in South Africa.
- Jewels are recognised by their piglike snout, short abdomen and bright colours, especially reds and blues.
- Females of most species are dull.
- Males have dancing courtship and territorial displays. During these displays they flaunt the colours of their legs.
- Boulder Jewel, Platycypha fitzsimonsi is endemic to South Africa
- There are only historic records of Ruby Jewel, Chlorocypha consueta, in South Africa.
General Identification information:
- Species identifications should be based on mature males only.
- Immature specimens may have very dull and different colours and cannot reliably be identified.
- When cold, specimens often appear darker and blotchy.
- Females must preferably be identifies in conjunction with a male.
Click on all images to enlarge.
A click on family/species name will link to the main species description article and image gallery