Makabusi Sprite. Makabusigesie
Also known as Green-striped Sprite
Links to articles and images
- Images of Makabusi Sprite
- Close-up images as identification aid
- Click on all links and images to open and enlarge
Makabusi SpriteMakabusi Spritex, Pseudagrion makabusience, Genus Pseudagrion (A–group), Family Coenagrionidae, small sized, slender, blackish, with broadish, green-grey thorax stripes and violet abdominal tip.
Key identification features:
- Face and labrum greyish blue. Anteclypeus greyish blue with indistinct blackish spots. Postclypeus and frons also greyish blue.
- Head black with bronze sheen and angular violet postocular spots viewed from above. Between the postocular spots (but not joining them) is a narrow light green line.
- Eyes dark brown above, lime green below. Neck black with metallic green sheen and green spots.
- Thorax blackish with green bronze sheen, distinct narrow light green shoulder stripes, sides black and pale green but covered with whitish pruinescence below.
- Wings clear.
- Pterostigmas dark brown to black.
- Abdomen slender, black with green metallic sheen, pale green below, fine pale ring present at joint of segments 1 and 2. Last quarter of segment 7 and all of s 8 - 9 dull violet. Segment 10 black, slightly pruinescent.
- Similar markings, pale brown, dark brown and black, with slightly greenish postocular spots.
Compared with other species:
- The violet postocular spots, violet S 7-10 and grey face is diagnostic.
- Pseudagion inopinatum (Balinsky's Sprite) has puple s 7- 10 when ald and grey when young
Distribution and habitat:
- Localised in LP but now recorded on the border of central GP and MP.
- Grassy margins of sluggish reaches of rivers and streams.
- Perches on sheltered grass stems lowdown overwater.