Assegai Sprite Assegaaigesie
Also called Spearhead Sprite, Spear Sprite
Links to images and articles:
- Images of Assegai Sprite
- Close-up for identification assistance.
- Click on all links and images to open or enlarge
Key identification features:
- \Face is light sky blue and black with the labrum light blue with small central black spot. Anteclypeus brownish pale blue, postclypeus black. Frons is blue in front with a black half-moon marking above, which connects with black of top of head. Head black with isolated blue postocular spots from above.
- Eyes are pale blue, pinkish below. Neck is black above with a blue spot on each side, blue below.
- Thorax is black above bordered by brownish blue stripes, sharply-defined narrow black stripe present on each side.
- Wings are clear. Pterostigmas pale brown, almost buff.
- Abdoment Segment 1 is sky blue with black basal spot. S 2 is blue with distinct spearhead-shape black marking. The rest of abdomen is light blue with black line running along top up to hind margin of s 7. Segments 8 to 10 are bright sky blue.S 10 has black mark on top in the foem of an "X"
- Slightly more robust than male, similar patterning but blue is replaced by light brown pterostigmas pale
Compared with other species:
- Segment 2 is shaped like a spear on P assegaii and like a round bowl flower pot with long stem on Africallagme glaucum, Swamp bluet.
- Postacular spots on P assegaii is smal, roung and not linked to each other
- On A. glaucum the postocular spots at narow and linked.
- Marking on S 7 in P. assegaii in open and less of a keyhole than A. glaucum only about 2/3 around the end of the segment
Distribution and habitat:
The Assegai Sprite was only known from the Limpopo Province but was recently found in western Mpumalanga (Witbank and Bronkhorstspruit). It also occurs in Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Prefferd habitat is sluggish streams and pools with an abundance of lilies reeds and grasses in dry savanna.
- Usually seen sitting on lily pads, but will flit close to the water surface when disturbed.
- May be found in the grassy areas next to the waters edge