- Genus Chlorolestes Selys, 1862 True Malachites
- Genus Ecchlorolestes Barnard, 1937 Toothed Malachites
- Genus Nubiolestes Fraser, 1945 Rainforest Malachite
- 10 Genera approximately 40 species
Distribution in Africa and surrounding Islands
- Most species confined to South Africa (8) with one found in Malawi; Mozambique; Republic of South Africa; Zimbabwe
- One species (Rainforest Malachite) in tropical Africa, unique within its range from south-eastern Nigeria to southern Gabon
- Forested areas, opens streams with well grassed /scrubbed edges on streams
- Current research indicate that the Genus Ecchlorolestes may be incorporated into the Genus Chlorolestes
General identification features
- Often large metallic green species
- Sometimes with conspicuously banded wings.
- Only images of male
- To view females and for the full description of the species click on the images
Click on images to view species.
[Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014]