- Over 15 species are known, ranging east to Australia
- Four species in Africa
- Males are very large (hindwing 38-51 mm) black-and-yellow dragonflies
Habitat and behaviour
- Perch conspicuously on prominent stakes over water, raising abdomen to display the distinctly foliated end
- Favour calm water
- I. ferox (Common Tigertail)occurs at marshes, ponds, lakes and calm rivers.
- I. dundoensis (Swamp Tigertail) in marshy rivers like in the Okavango Delta, and I. regisalberti (Congo Tigertail) and its western counterpart I. fraseri (Western Tigertail) at rivers, often in forest.
- Only images of males are shown
- To view images of female follow the menu links to the main description pages
- Click on all images to enlarge.
- Images that are available are shown
A selection of images