- Monotypic and endemic to tropical Africa
- Widespread in Tropical Africa.
- Range from the warm north eastern areas but recent records from southern Gauteng and south eastern North West Provinces.
General identification features
- Range from the warm north western areas butt recent records from southern Gauteng and south eastern North West Provinces.
- Easily identified bay the very elongate abdomen with bulbous base, and glossy black body with bold yellow spots
Habitat and behaviour
- Widespread in most open habitats, being most common at standing water, open streams and river, or localised at herbaceous marshes and lakes
- Perches conspicuously along open rivers (sometimes streams and lakes), being very aggressive towards other dragonflies.
- Where possible only images of males are shown
- To view images of females please follow the manu items to the main display pages